Thursday, August 20, 2009
Investing
I love investing. Granting it is still a crap shoot sometimes when it comes to the stock market, but it's god damn better than locking up your money for 3-12 months at a measly rate of 1.2%. Man if the bank tells you to do that tell them to fuck themselves. Trust me. If you are relatively young like I am your investments do not all need to be low risk. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't be investing in CD or Bonds, but I'm just saying that you can live on the dangerous side because you have plenty of time to earn lost money back. The other day the lady at Wells Fargo asked me if I had thought about taking some of the money in my savings account and putting it into a CD. I don't think she expected me to know what the hell a CD was or how crappy the bank is leading you astray. They want you to lock up your money in one of their CDs for 10 months while you earn a little less than 1% interest. So lets see, say you do take them up on the offer for one of their "Special CDs". First you'll need to meet their minimum amount which is a decent amount of money (lets say its 1000, which its not, but its a nice round number for out math.) Then you hand it over to the bank for 10 months. So over 10 months you'll be earning .9% which if compounded monthly turns out to be almost 8 dollars. Not much, especially to have your money tied up. What made it even better was that the lady is like and the penalty is only about 3 months of intrest which sucks when you are only make 8 dollars. Anyways, yeah I just don't think you need to invest in a CD unless you want a super low risk invest ment with the most minimal of growth. Even a T-bill will get you better rates than a freaking CD.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment