Monday, September 14, 2009

joomla

I don't think joomla is for me. I mean it might be great and all for your novice programmer who lacks the skills to really get down and dirty with js, css, php or any other language that exists out there in the vast ocean. I also see the benefits in joomla and its hands off content management. It really makes it easy for people to install it and go. Now granted I haven't completely finished my book on it, nor have it really gotten down and dirty by creating my own template, but I'm really disappointed with its out of the box functionality. It lacks the ability to really customize things the way you want it. It forces you to have a bunch of things on the page by default and makes it quite difficult to remove any of those items. I manually went though and disabled all the items I could. I actually managed to ruin my entire site and couldn't log in to the admin pages after this. I was forced to manually go into the database and restored items though SQL queries.

Granted joomla might be great for many other uses, but I'm just not enjoying it. I want to customize and make it mine instead of using predefined templates. I'm guessing the only way to do this is write my own template. I might try this, but right now I'm now feeling up to the task.

No comments: